Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Usability
Jakob Nielsen's useit.com cracks me up. He is one of the premier proponents of making web sites easy to use and his site is one of the most confusing that I have seen. My head nearly explodes when I look at his site and my eyes are not drawn anywhere when viewing it. There has to be an easier site design he could employ to make me believe that he is an expert.

Example: When I search for sites that specialize in "web design" I only stay if I think that their site is well designed. If a site is confusing, or there is too much information scattered everywhere, I leave. If a site looks cheesy, I leave. If there are annoying elements, I seldom stay.

This is why I never spend much time at About.com. There is tons of great information there, but the pop up ads are a bother and when you click on an outside link you are still left with the About.com navigation strip at the top of the page. I want to kick people who do that with their site. They have to make money, but get real.

So ends my web usability rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home